Teen Artistry, Leadership, and Advocacy!
Midori & Friends is launching a new artistic development/leadership/advocacy program for teens in the spring 2022.
NEXTGen Musician is a paid apprenticeship open to freshmen, sophomores, and juniors attending New York City public or charter high schools who have a passion for music. Students will have the opportunity to explore career pathways, in music and beyond, through workshops, masterclasses, performances, work-study opportunities, and career labs with critical thinkers in each field of study and extraordinary artists, including world-renowned virtuoso violinist, Midori! Alongside artistic development, teens will develop skills in advocacy by telling the story of the importance of music education, speak with elected officials with confidence, and stay involved. The program will culminate in the opportunity for each student to create an arts advocacy campaign and present it in the community.
The program will run from January through May and students are expected to meet 2-3 hours per week after-school.
Program at a glance:
- 5 month commitment from participants and involvement with a culminating arts advocacy campaign aimed at policy makers and their influencers
- One daylong team-building retreat to Hudson, NY art studios and Wally Farms
- Option to take weekly music lessons on instrument of choice in person or virtual
- Audit masterclasses, participate in creative arts workshops, and attend performances of artists in the fields of music, media, among others
- Monthly career labs and seminars in aspects of arts advocacy including lobbying, case building, grassroots efforts, public speaking and letter writing
- Excursions throughout New York City to cultural organizations and events
- ABC studio tour and on-camera masterclass with Ron Claiborne
- Tour of Morgan Library
- One on one mentorship opportunities with professionals in the field of tech and music production
- Students receive a stipend for the time and work put into the program
- Application open to freshmen, sophomore, and junior students in NYC public and charter schools
- Opportunity to continue program in the following year
Applications due Friday, December 10, 2021
- Online portal submission
- Video recording of a performance (in lieu of live performance, students may submit self-tape)
- Short essay about student’s aspirations in music
- Recommendation letter from music teacher
- Parental written consent
We encourage individuals who play an instrument, sing, or compose to apply. **First generation musicians in their families are highly encouraged to apply.